I'm not sure if I'm going to watch the second episode. Maybe it's unfair to judge the entire series based on the first hour of content. But that's exactly why pilot episodes have no room for error; more often than not, your viewers won't give you the benefit of the doubt nor a chance to redeem yourself. That said, I probably will give the next episode a chance. People who have actually read the books are raving about the first episode, so maybe now that I actually know what I'm getting into, I won't be so scandalized next time.

Date: 2011-04-19 08:41 am (UTC)
ext_447127: (Default)
From: [identity profile] jeannedecarnin.livejournal.com
Huh, it's interesting that you wrote this, I'm sitting at home with a bad cold and I was just considering whether to download the first episode. I'm also I sci-fi geek who hasn't read the books, but it looks like I might skip this and try the books instead.

It is probably weird coming from someone who writes graphic porn, but I actually don't usually like porn in TV/film. Possible because the visual nature doesn't lend always itself to the subtleties of interpretation and feeling that you get in writing, so it's just - he puts it in there, then he puts it in there. Also, I can't stand the way everyone usually looks so airbrushed and posed. It's a soulless and artificial tableau of sex. Well, maybe the sex in Game of Thrones isn't like that, but if I'm following and story and everyone suddenly starts shagging unaccountably, I always feel a bit like:what what..?